An unforgettable holiday tradition for Vancouver families, the Goh Ballet’s The Nutcracker production returns for it’s 6th holiday season, showcasing live music and a cast of over 200 composed primarily by local dancers. Featuring ballet superstar Paloma Herrera from American Ballet Theatre as the Sugar Plum Fairy, this event is sure to quickly become a holiday tradition for your family!
Since the annual production began 6 years ago, critics have called it an “outstanding production” (The Vancouver Sun), “a gleaming ornament” (the Georgia Straight) & “The one to see” (The Province).
This mesmerizing ballet interpretation of E.T.A. Hoffman’s adored fairy tale, “The Nutcracker and the Mouse King” is set to the Vancouver Opera Orchestra’s rendition of Tchaikovsky’s masterpiece, The Nutcracker Suite.
Doesn’t that sound incredible? I will admit this is going to be my first time attending the ballet but it has been on the top of my must-do list for some time. I have been crossing items off my bucket list all year and I am already counting down the days to the show. The Nutcracker is a cherished story in our home around the holidays, there is nothing more enchanting then letting yourself be pulled into the story, and seeing it LIVE!
This heart-warming journey is guaranteed to pull at your imagination and draw you into a magical world featuring dancers ranging from six years old to professional. Having held a day-long audition for the 200 dancers needed for this year’s production, The Nutcracker features (to name a few!) 18 little lambs, 30 little mice, 36 soldiers, 34 little lambs as well as professional soloist roles, other performing arts, genres and more.
Some facts about Goh Ballet’s The Nutcracker;
- An established holiday tradition, 2014 marks the productions 6th year
- An estimated 10,000 or more guests will attend this season’s performance
- More than 200 dancers and other performing artists of all ages
- Star Performers include Paloma Herrera, International dance superstar and Principal Dancer with American Ballet Theature and Dmitri Dovgoselets, a soloist with the Royal Winnipeg Ballet
- The production is choreographed by Emmy award-winning Canadian choreographer Anna Marie Holmes
- Thousands of hours go into the production every year, including choreography, rehearsals, set and costume production, as well as set-up and performances
- Chan Hon Goh, Executive Producer for the production is also the recipient of the 2013 Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal and the former principal dancer for the National Ballet of Canada
December 18-22 at 7:30pm
December 20 – 2:00pm & 7:30pm
December 21 – 3:00pm & 7:30pm
Location: The Centre, 777 Homer Street, Vancouver
Will you be making Goh Ballet’s The Nutcracker a family holiday tradition this year?
(Disclosure: I received media passes in exchange for promotion of this event, all opinions are my own.)