I really believe in supporting local artisans and businesses around the holidays. The amount of hard work that goes into hand-crafted gifts makes them so much more appreciated in our home. I try to be the “perfect” gift giver, matching up what I feel to be the most unique gifts, to the hardest to shop for recipients! I like foodie gifts, and I know a lot of my friends and family do as well. Not only do you get to try out some delicious treats, you share an experience and we LOVE that. Love. Love. Love! Some of our favorites have made this list…
While the holiday season is a time for fireside gatherings, it also invites the challenge of finding the perfect gift. Whether it’s that added touch needed to complete a gift or a new twist to the canapé and cocktail table, finding new items can be difficult. Bringing a taste of the Fraser Valley’s countryside, this list presents ten unique items that are sure to be conversation starters.
- Apple Cider from Taves Family Farms Applebarn (Abbotsford) – 100% natural, farm-fresh apple cider made from the Taves’ very own apples. Serve hot and mulled. Available at stores in the Fraser Valley and Vancouver.
- Gourmet marshmallows from Pink Spatula (Mission) – Enjoy the indulgence of handcrafted, pillowy marshmallows. Ask about the Ginger Spice macamallows, and gluten-free and vegan options. Available in select stores and online.
- Cupcakes from Tracycakes (Langley and Abbotsford) – Awarded Retro Cupcake of the Year by the National Post. Babycakes are the smallest, yet sweetest indulgence. Available in stores or online.
- Meade from Campbell’s Honey Gold (Abbotsford) – Meade, an ancient honey wine thought by many to have been the first alcoholic beverage made by man. Available in store only.
- Organic dried fruit from Anita’s Organic Mill (Chilliwack) – Premium Canadian quality products, representing the best in organic farming. Available in store and online.
- Deli items from Hopcott Farms (Pitt Meadows) – Recognized for top-quality AAA dry-aged beef, Hopcott Meats is also a hub for ‘all things local’. House-made charcuterie. Available at the store and by wholesale.
- Cheese from Golden Ears Cheesecrafters (Maple Ridge) – Made with simple ingredients, starting with farm-fresh jersey milk. Rich and delectable. Available at specialty food stores across the Lower Mainland.
- Hazelnuts from Canadian Hazelnuts Inc. (Agassiz) –Choose from in-shell hazelnuts, raw hazelnuts, dry-roasted hazelnuts, candied hazelnuts, chocolate covered hazelnuts, hazelnut chocolate barks, and hazelnut butters.Available in store only.
- Teas from Karla’s Specialteas – Loose-leaf teas made from local organic growers and wildcraft herbs. Hypnotizing aromas. Available at specialty retailers across the Lower Mainland and online.
- Cooking classes from Well Seasoned (Langley) – An authentic hands-on, interactive cooking experience. Carrying only the finest in everything gourmet. Gift baskets, cooking classes, and a wide selection of artisan treats.